Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Little of a Lot

August just got away from me.
What it feels like sometimes...
check out the other neat pictures where I found this here. 
Last month I meant to do a "little" entry about a lot that I had learned recently. The month went by amazingly fast. This entry had been a "Draft" for weeks. And, now - six days into September - I realize it was going to be another "typical" entry. Yes, boring. After all this time, I'm coming to notice much of this great stuff can come across as boring. Yes, this may be the last boring entry. Really? I am planning to adopt a more "entertaining" approach to personal development. Please stay tuned!
Cats on Radio :-) On a Tshirt!
So, why am I doing this? For me, the best way to learn is to teach. In my case, share what I learn...
Or at least type it and attempt to share. I really have learned an huge deal these past few months. However, in order for me to share it properly - I need to make it entertaining. The material is extremely interesting and life-changing stuff. It requires more than just to read. It requires to be taught. Which is great, since sharing is the best way for me to assimilate information.




Here's what I did. I Took what I learned and blogged over the past year from reading Good to Great by Jim Collins, I put together a "special session" at work for my peers. At this special session, we first had an open-discussion to see what we thought a "Great" company should have. Most of the attendees had not read the book - which made it better. No bias. Just pure, straight from the heart opinions and feelings. Afterward, I followed it up with a summary on the book to compare and contrast. During the open discussion session, I tried to steer the questions to get answers that may parallel the formula found in Good to Great that leads to the "Flywheel". Unfortunately, some of the feedback I got later told me that the audience felt that was restrictive. However, I found it necessary to structure the session, in hopes to "lead the crowd" toward answers that may parallel Jim Collin's assessments. What did we find?


Our "Great" Company came down to People, Structure and Execution.

 Although the answers where not in parallel, what I found was quite remarkable. First, I must say I am glad I had started to listen to the audio-book for The 8Th Habit that week. Otherwise, I may have been confused or disappointed that we would be "off the mark". Why? Most of the answers we gathered where closer to what would satisfy things describing "The Whole Person Paradigm" and some of the 4 roles of leadership as identified in The 8th Habit(!)
The 4 Roles of Leadership as seen in this Blog Entry 
How can this be? I thought. More so than the components Jim Collins identified would make a good company great. See this entry on the "Flywheel" - notice all the components that make it up. Although valid, they are mostly by-products... or observable qualities. The deep, rooted reasons why companies are in the "Flywheel" vs. the "Doom Loop" become so clear once you understand the whole-person paradigm.
Not only is your spirit at the center of it all - it can govern the remaining 3
I won't go into detail in this entry. My plan is to make it a year-long study/teaching project. Why? One more concept of the 8th Habit that cannot be ignored is that it revolves around finding "Your Voice" (!) Yes - this is it. Your unique, personal Hedgehog Concept! Remember? I had almost predicted that the Hedgehog concept had an application at a personal level. What is more, once you find your voice - you are meant to help others find theirs! Awesome. Not by preaching or scripting your life, or telling people how to live their lives. On the contrary. By being a model - a genuine person who exemplifies timeless principles.

PS
I stumbled upon a blog entry where the 7 Habits were compared to Good to Great.
Something I might have done if I hadn't learned about the 8th Habit ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment