Thursday, June 30, 2011

Who are Level 5 Leaders?

Finally! I started reading Good to Great by Jim Collins. So far – it really is a Great book (no pun intended). In the beginning, it may seem a bit like “OK, fine – I believe you” – as The How’s, Who’s and Why’s of the book are broadcast loud and clear. I did not read Built to Last – but apparently, Good to Great is a sort of “prequel”. What I am really looking forward to is that there are some Discussion Guides and supplemental material on Jim Collins.com that follow each of the major points and core values that take a corporation from good to great.

Maybe I am too much of an idealist, but I believe anyone can be a leader – given the right situation. Any of us can “rise to the occasion”. Perhaps. For the fist time in a long time, something made me question this belief. Or at least – make me realize that not all leaders may not have the potential of becoming what is called a “Level 5 Leader”. As I read through the chapter, I was actually saddened. So many points rang true from my career experience. Jim’s description of so many mediocre companies that sought out the “loud or charismatic” leaders. Not to mention the successful leaders that let it all go to their heads and forego enduring greatness for their corporations (suddenly personal greatness was more important). Last, but not least, the constant oversight of companies' natural Level 5 Leaders in their midst. I totally know people who are practically there. Maybe level 4.5 - and are completely overlooked.
Oh – what is a Level 5 Leader?
One who exhibits both humility and will. Yep, quite the combination of traits most of us would not imagine possible. Unfortunately, Humility is probably more often confused for a weakness. If you think about it, only those with real strength are capable of choosing to be humble – to serve. How about the will? It must come from a deep motive – something grounded in solid principles and values - that makes for a selfless person, putting others (and a corporation) first and foremost.

I am positively certain of individuals who have both Humility and Will. I know of several who have the potential. I hope I do… after reading all of it, I realize I am probably a level 3. I am glad to think that so many of the people I know have the “seed” to become a Level 5 Leader.

However, if what Jim says is true, there are those that do not have the seed. That is, they do not have the potential whatsoever of becoming a Level 5 Leader. I could not help but wonder: What allows for some of us to have the seed, and others not? Is it the way they where raised? Personality type? I am not sure if their study included such things. I do have a feeling that it has a lot to do with a combination of childhood upbringing and personality type. Also – I couldn’t help but wonder if being independent or interdependent was a factor. If I had to guess, Level 5 Leaders are not only interdependent, and where brought up in an environment where most of the 7 Habits where practiced. If not at home, then at least their schooling gave them exposure.

Humility and will is by no means an easy mix of attributes, but to someone who is already practicing courage and consideration from Habit 4, it may not be that tough to make the leap. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment