Monday, October 31, 2011

Can a fox be a hedgehog too?

What a busy month. I have had zero (0), zilch, nada amount of time this month to continue to read "Good to Great". However, I did have some time to ponder about my previous entry and wonder if the "Hedgehog Concept" has applications to people as well - not just corporations. I have a feeling it does. And I am sure others have already considered the question, and might have already written on it. Sadly, I didn't have the time to read those either. Sorry. However, I will give you my own perspective, and if you have the time - please let me know your opinion and send me links to articles that show applications of the Hedgehog Concept to their personal lives.


So, my simple thought is this: if we, as individuals, were to understand what that ONE thing we could do very well, we could achieve a great deal of success. Not because we are tactically seeking success through some strategy, but because we are sought out  by those looking for the BEST at that ONE thing. Many times, "the expert" is needed. Who will be called?
I am uncertain if we can suddenly go from being a fox to a hedgehog by simply deciding to focus on our "one thing". However, I suspect that those who are already hedgehogs, have simplified their life to pursue their passion. This may be one thing they love and are great at. Not because of the money it would make. Not because they know there is a market for their idea. This may not necessarily line-up with Jim's "What drives your economic engine" portion of the Hedgehog Concept. However, once the passion is identified and you try to be the best in the world at it - at some point, it will become your economic engine.
It is interesting that when we are children, we have all sorts of dreams and potential. I wanted to walk on the moon and be a doctor at the same time. Shortly after, I enjoyed drawing so much - there wasn't a book that didn't have my artwork. So, where do some of our youthful dreams and passions go? I do not know if  attempting to meet parental expectations plays a part. But I do know, that in the process of ensuring that I had a "solid career" I abandoned any passion I had for art. Who knows... I probably would've been a great artist. Not the "best in the world" - but probably really good. Maybe I still can pick it up someday.
Going into Engineering was still a great choice for me. Although when I first decided to pursue it, I envisioned myself doing mechanical drawings of some neat stuff - like concept cars. In the end, I took what I could get. Shifted companies in search of a higher-paying position, and so on. Fifteen years, six companies and five industries later, I have become a "jack of all trades and a master of none".
Jack of all Trades... HA.
From my experience, being a "jack of all trades" can be a good thing. Giving perspective in business conversations based on experience alone has its advantages. Having a breadth of exposure to different company cultures, businesses concepts and processes means you have insight. It can carry far more weight than just "knowledge" from reading books or theory from course work and classes. However, the "master of none" part can hurt. Mostly if you seek an opportunity in a field that requires intimate knowledge of a process or of an industry (Medical/Pharmaceutical/Collegiate) which you've had little or no experience in.
Now, how about being the BEST jack of all trades? Can this be a fox-hedgehog hybrid? Not trying to find a loophole in the logic, but I what if there was a genuine leader who is somewhat a "fox". That is, someone who is really great at being a leader, but may not an expert at any one thing. Say this leader surrounds him/herself with the people who are experts in their field (aka hedgehogs?). Leading others toward success- which in turn makes the leader successful. So - being a fox when it comes to knowledge and experience, but a hedgehog at leadership. I know, sounds strange. Stranger than "Cat-Dog"...?

any thoughts? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment