Monday, July 12, 2010

Synergy - The 6th Habit

Before I started writing this entry, I felt like taking a peek at WikiPedia and see what was there for “Synergize”. It redirects you to “Synergy” [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synergy] – Click on it and read it if you like. I always thought of it as “working together”. Great. Don’t we all do that everyday? We all “work together” – right? It is not that simple. Dr. Covey elaborates on Synergize-ing as a form of communication that builds creative momentum when both trust and cooperation is very high. Remember Habit 4? The ever elusive Win/Win ? This is it. The pinnacle of two people (or more) with the win/win mindset. Imagine everyone were open-minded and ready to look at new ideas and create possibilities in an interdependent fashion – wow. Although I have seen the whole spectrum of businesses
(from self-owned, start-ups to Global) I have yet to participate in a project where people can synergize completely all the time. Maybe it’s too early in my career, or did not have the luck. However, I have seen plenty of evidence of synergizing. Working together with energetic, open-minded people that have created “hot teams”. Whichever definition you may find out there, I define it as teams in which members have been empowered to do their best in order to accomplish a clear set of goals – and everyone delivers. I my 13-year career, I have also witnessed partial attempts and “good tries” at creating a synergy among teams or company culture. But I believe those failed attempts where fueled by personal, independent thinking and technique rather than legitimate synergy that would require mastery of the other 5 Habits. I am only making observations… I am no expert to criticize. I have yet to be successful at mastering the first 3 Habits! Let alone genuinely lead others.
So - What does it all mean? Really?
First, “Valuing differences”.
Every person is as unique as their sets of fingerprints, retinal blood-vessel configuration, DNA sequence, etc. If we are all so different, then why do we expect that we should think/feel alike? It’s funny that we have difficulty embracing the fact that we all have our unique set of feelings and thoughts, strengths and weaknesses. Some may be similar, but an important step in achieving synergy is to “valuing differences”. Only then can we say “I respect your position”. We don’t have to agree with it, just value it – just was we value one another for who we are.

Next, looking for the third alternative
We are all bound to see things differently. If anything, it’s a fact of life. Seldom to two people see the same situation the exact same way. The difference in approach should not mean that tensions should flare. On the contrary. Dr. Covey says we should embrace the differences. Sounds easier said than done. In theory, if we listen empathetically (Habit 5) and respect each other’s principles, we will seek for a mutually beneficial solution that meets the distinct needs, and more importantly our values. I can understand that as long as my values are not compromised, and the main concern is addressed, there is always a “middle ground”. It just does not feel like it the first few minutes a “clash of interests” occurs. I suppose it takes either a very good relationship/understanding of one another (big & filled emotional bank account) or a lot of patience – which goes hand-in-hand with having a lot of time… a luxury I felt many times I did not have. This would probably lead me to unnecessary pressure in my dealings with others.

Is there such a thing as “Bad Synergy”? Of course. From what Dr. Covey explains, is known as “negative synergy”. So much time is spent on “CYA” and borrowing from either your position of power (going for Win/Lose) or wanting to be popular (going for Lose/Win) that synergy falls on the way side. People can talk the talk of Win/Win, but it’s simply technique, used mainly to manipulate the situation. After reading all of this, I realized how much I have witnessed negative synergy in my career. Browsing online for the chart on “Levels of Cooperation”, I came across a site that does a great job putting it in their own perspective on negative synergy [http://www.flippingheck.com/7-Habits-Habit-6-Synergise] – toward the end. Along with an interesting graph that makes great sense. I wonder if Dr. Covey would consider revising his graph to reflect this interesting correlation. In the book I have (2003 paperback edition) the graph is a linear relationship - positive slope) between trust and cooperation where it just would seem to go up and up.



I totally agree that distrust that is formed whenever you deal with a “used car salesmen” type that is way too eager to get your business/close the deal. No doubt it is a form of "negative synergy". Even though he/she isn’t necessarily selling a used car, you know the feeling when someone is going “above and beyond” or being "overly nice" for a purpose other than your best interest. Some give in, others find their own way of digging their heels and/or making a stand. It's a shame that many get away with it thinking that they are “great” at their job as they sucker people into believing in their “charm” (high co-operation) to get their way (making the sale, etc.). I don't mean to offend any salesmen outthere who use trained techniques. I understand that it is important to make the sale. I was part-owner of a company not too long ago... selling my Mom's original recipe cookies. I was never pushy because I never liked to be pushed into anything. I simply told the company story of what we selling - being as honest and truthful - and let the product "sell itself" by offering samples. I felt that trust was the most important factor in the sale. I also had to feel my integrity was solid. I do not think I would ever be able to sell something I wouldn't buy or own myself. I know this cannot be the case with everything - but the closer you get to that feeling, the better.

I can go on and on about every day examples - but what about you? When and where have you experienced synergy? Negative and/or positive?

No comments:

Post a Comment