Saturday, May 2, 2015

Discovering Your Voice, Part I

This week I began teaching "The 8th Habit" at work. I will be setting up monthly sessions where I cover a chapter per month for a year. This is something I had been wanting to do for quite some time now. Why? I want to learn it for real. After listening to the audio-book several times, I came to the realization that I cannot just "know" the material. In fact, I started to listen to the audio-book a few times back-to-back... in hopes that it would sink-in. However, listening to it over and over started to make me a little cynical about it all. I even began questioning it. I couldn't apply it to my life - the way I could apply "The 7 Habits". Something wasn't right. Eventually, it hit me as this quote began ringing in my mind:

"To know and not to do is really not to know"
-Stephen R. Covey

I took it upon myself to really learn by doing! The true message of the entire book.

The first part: "Find Your Voice" comprises of two parts:
1 - Discovering Your Voice
2 - Express Your Voice

I covered the 1st part this week - reviewing what Dr. Covey referred to as  our "Birth Gifts":
1 - Freedom and Power to Choose
2 - Natural Laws or Principles
3 - The 4 Intelligences:

  1. Body
  2. Heart
  3. Mind
  4. Spirit


The blending of the 4 Intelligences is our Voice! Unique, personal, significance.
I had about 12 slides, 15 attendees, and covered it all with some interesting discussions all within an hour (or less). 

I felt that the biggest "take away" was that we would all needed to learn how to exercise our birth-gifts on a daily / weekly basis. I had created a sort of "tacker" for each of the 3 birth-gifts in a simple excel sheet:
 I also insisted that each attendee pair-up with someone to hold one another accountable. The problem is, I have yet to pair-up with someone. Just like I can't laugh when trying to tickle myself, I am horrible at keeping myself accountable as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment