Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Influence others?... I'll start with me.

Let's start at the very beginning...a very good place to start... when you read you begin with A, B, C... When you lead you begin with ethos, pathos, logos... OK, so that is not quite the way it goes. But that last part is very true. 

Do Re Mi

Recently, and on more than one occasion, the topic of "influencing others" came up. Yes, there are books out there (I'll have to get to them at some point since knowing the game and strategizing is important). If you read and follow techniques on influencing others - then, that is all it will be: technique. If you steer people's thoughts in a direction that's favorable for you, it's manipulation. Let's not forget guilt-tripping, positional authority, psych-ups, etc. etc. So- what is the right way? Not sure if there is one in particular. However, I see it as good old leadership. If you want others to follow (not just be influenced) by what you said - we need to lead.  Just like before we can run, we learn to walk. Before we can walk,  most of us crawl our tumble. Before we can lead, we cannot do without these three (in order):
Ethos: The source's credibility
Pathos: The emotional appeal / language
Logos: The logic and facts


By the way, I have yet to meet someone who does not to love The Sound of Music. "Do Re Mi" is not only a great song (sing-along or otherwise), it is a great example that we need basic building blocks and a natural order of progression in order to create. In this case, they are a prerequisite to creating a song and singing!

Of the 3 basic building blocks, Ethos is my personal favorite. Why?
Not only is it the one thing I have control over, but it is something I can work on it "behind the scenes" as much as I can. Since my credibility is to be earned, not given, I need to work on my "self" (Remember this BlogPost?) every day in every way. Once I master who I am, the rest should follow... right? OK - granted it is not that simple. I'm very much a work in progress. Like they say: The more I know, the more I realize I don't know:  as I continue working on self-improvement as part of my Kaisen (See the previous blog post here). Sorry, I won't go into detail of Pathos or Logos here. What I will say is that Pathos - or emotional intelligence - is best built by reading & living The 7 Habits. Logos - or the logic will depend on each individual situation and the facts.
So - what's the natural progression of "thyself"? In this order:
Know thyself: Introspective awareness - including strengths & weaknesses (build Ethos)
Control thyself: Discipline - disciple of one's values (based on principles - more Ethos building)
Give thyself: Serve others - for the greater good (exclude personal agendas - ready for Pathos & Logos)
No, I did not come up with this myself. However, as I endure to find my voice via The 8th Habit - I would like you all to know where to find it. The aforementioned book is were all of this is found there in immense detail.

Now, you may ask: What do you in a situation where all the "ethos, pathos, logos" may not apply? You may or may not know yourself - but there is Someone that knows you better than you so. And although most of the material covered in my blogs would be under the "Self Help" umbrella - you are never alone in your path to self-improvement.
Ever try to see your reflection in rough waters? Nor can anyone else. Finding the strength to keep calm - to be that reflection where others can see themselves may go beyond one's self. In times of turbulence, only my faith can give me the said strength to exude inner peace. This article makes a great acronym for PEACE and how Leading with Peace, although difficult, yields personal effectiveness. I find Linked2Leadership's Articles of Faith to have great perspective on so many leadership topics. I highly recommend the site. I will endeavor to post more relevant links on my Blog from L2L. Regardless of your faith, I believe anyone can benefit from their inspirational words.

To summarize: if we wish to lead others, we need to start with self. Ironically, it is for self-less reasons as to why we build our selves. We wish to give ourselves to others and be a "servant leader". When all else fails, it is good to know that our connection to the infinite - our faith - can give us the strength to remain true and steady in the storms of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment