Monday, January 17, 2011

Chicken Soup! (Wingin' It)

Hello everyone! Welcome to a "Special Edition" of my Blog. Since I know hardly anyone reads this, and it is a wintery winter here in the North East... I figured I'd share a chicken soup recipe my wife and I enjoy! It really is "Mamita's Chicken Soup" recipe. That's right, my Mom's. The one she used to make when any of us were at our "death bead" getting over a cold or flu. As much as I can try, I doubt mine will ever be as good as Mamita's. However, I wing it. What matters is that you use chicken on the bone, you enjoy making it and eating it. Your body will thank you as you should feel an extra energy boost and revive you from fighting a nasty cold or flu of doom. Don't just take my word for it (Nature's Cold/Flu Remedy)(Healing Properties of Chicken Soup)
Since I do not approach soup-making as an exact science, I call it "wingin' it". Not because there are chicken wings in it. In fact, thighs and drum-sticks are best :-)
In a large pot bring about 6 cups of water to a boil. You can also add a Box of Chicken Broth in lieu of water. Low-sodium and as close to "natural" preferred. So, instead of 6 cups of water, it can be 4 cups... then the rest Chicken Broth.
Add anywhere from 4 to 6 chicken "parts" that have bone on them: Thighs & Legs preferable. I think skin-on is also preferred.
Along with cut potatoes, carrots (baby carrots make it easier), Onion (sliced or diced), garlic (about 3 to 4 cloves - crushed or minced), and celery.
Once it's been boiling for about 15 min. add starches. Mom sometimes used rice, sometimes noodles - whatever you prefer - enough for about 3 servings worth. To thicken the soup add oatmeal (about a handful).
Also - shake in good amount of Oregano leaves on the surface and stir it in.
After about another 10 minutes (or until pasta/rice is done) add fresh cilantro for the last 5 minutes and let it seep.
Shopping List:
Chicken Thighs, Legs (About 3 lbs)
Potatoes (Need about 2 big or 3 regular, peeled)
Onions (Need about 1 big one or 2 small... Mom would say 2 big)
Celery (about 4 stems - no leaves or white stuff, cut somewhat small)
Carrots (4 regular ones sliced small or a bunch of Baby)
Garlic (either fresh cloves or the crushed ones in a jar - if going the Jar option, I would say go for 3 to 4 Tablespoons)
Rice (1 Cup may be plenty) or Noodles (enough for 3 servings or so)
Oatmeal (about 1/2 a cup or whatever fits in your fist - I believe the classic ones would work because it will cook)
Oregano (The kind found in a spice-rack - sprinkle all over the top and then a little more)
Cilantro (Fresh, and wait until the last 5 minutes - can be removed before serving)
Total prep-time: about 15 min.
Total Cooking time: 30 min plus.
Notes:
Notice that I left out any salt. It may be bland if you do not add some salt to taste... but the broths usually have some anyway.
After the soup is done, you can take the chicken pieces apart (meat off the bone and maybe get rid of skin) and put them back in - including the bone. Even when you store the soup, you can leave the bones floating in there - just no need to serve them when ready to eat. Shredding the potatoes (instead of just cutting them) also adds to "thickness". Every time you try it, you can change the ratios to get it to be thicker, thinner, etc. Experiment and make it your own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment